Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Meet TentPak.

Back in July I wrote about a product called JakPak (http://jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com/2009/07/raincoat-tent-and-sleeping-bag-combo.html) which marketed itself as a raincoat, tent, sleeping bag combo. I received quite a few e-mails about the product which generally carried the same theme: nice idea, but unlikely to be successful to the mainstream as people like to pick specific gear from multiple manufactuers and it doesn't really excel in any area.

Along those same lines, I’ve come across another product which will no doubt be met with the same exuberance.
“TentPak” (http://www.tentpak.com) is a backpack and tent combo. The company was started in 2008 and offers 12 backpack models with either a 3-season or 4-season tent for two people. The average TentPak weighs a healthy 13 pounds. Prices run from $150 to $375 depending on the model.

Those who used them claim the product is made quite well with high quality components which come standard with many adjustment options.

Although my money will be spent elsewhere, I guess the TentPak and the JakPak both have their audiences. To me, it would make more sense to market it to humanitarian groups for distribution to the homeless or those in need like the unfortunate folks in Haiti than to sell them to folks like you and I. Oh well, what do I know.

1 comment:

Kent said...

Just checked out the site. Intriguing, yes, but picking out the perfect gear combo is part of the fun. These would be good for outfitting an expedition, but for now, I will stick with my old Kelty pack/Hennessy Hammock combo.